It’s true that the dating game differs slightly with age. Expectations are higher, both you and your partner are at a different stage in your life, and there’s a much higher chance that you’ll be divorced and have children. Just because you’ve hit the big Four-Oh doesn’t mean that you have to throw in the towel though. Here are 10 tips to help women in their 40s along with their online dating quest.
1. Think about your expectations. Very few men over forty are without any emotional baggage, a slightly receding hairline, or life-long bad habits. Realise this and also remember that you also have more to consider in your life than you did when you were 21.
2. Be brave and have courage. It can be difficult to take that leap back into the dating game if you’ve been out of it for a few years. Chances are, your date will be just as nervous as you so paste on a smile, and put your best foot forward.
3. List all of your best qualities and think about everything that you have to offer a possible suitor. You might have raised two charming children, reached the height of your career, or have managed to retain some of the adventure of your youth.
4. If you feel like you need it, have a few ‘practise’ dates. If you’re unsure about jumping head first into the dating scene, try to accept invitations from mutual friends who you find interesting, but are not overwhelmingly attracted to.
5. Make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into be talking to him a few times before meeting. Set up a couple of phone dates so the two of you can find out how easily you can talk, and whether it’s worth pursuing a date.
6. Remember that dating doesn’t always have to lead to a relationship. See every date and encounter as a chance to enjoy a nice meal, have fun, and chat to someone new. Many strong friendships have come from dating disasters.
7. Don’t be judgemental if someone has different ideas to you or if he doesn’t share the same humour as you’re used to. By this point in your life you’re also sure to have developed some peculiar habits that you will never shake.
8. If he’s nice and you get on well don’t be afraid to suggest meeting up again. Suggest a daytime walk, a visit to a museum, or a quick lunch in the upcoming week. Again, if someone is friendly and you share some interests there is no harm in building a friendship with them.
9. One of the most important rules of dating to adhere to, no matter what your age, is to avoid falling in love too quickly. It can be easy to mistake politeness or chivalry as a genuine interest but all too often it’s not the case.
10. Stay adventurous and open yourself up to new possibilities. Just because you’re signed up to an online dating site and going on a few dates doesn’t mean you should stop looking elsewhere. Keep your head up and your eyes peeled and you might just bump into Mr. Right on the street.