Conversation is the basis for every relationship. Often breaking the ice and getting into a chat with your love interest is the hardest bridge to cross. If you struggle with those first steps when you’re chatting to men or woman, take a look at this list of the top ten conversation starters that are likely to win you a date.
1. Talk about your day. The most simple of sentences can lead to the most fascinating encounters. A simple question like ‘what did you get up to today?’ can turn into a lengthy and fascinating chat.
2. Give someone a compliment. Something that the British, in particular lack, is the ability to give a compliment to a stranger. It’s fine to tell that hot man that they smell really good, or to say to the lovely lady at the bus stop that her dress looks great.
3. Talk about the weather. It’s a cliché but the most talked about topic in the UK is, unsurprisingly, the weather. Many a great romance has begun on the pretence of a seemingly innocent comment about how awful the weather is.
4. Ask the time. Again, this could be perceived as a total cliché and a little bit boring but it is surprisingly useful in starting a conversation. If you’re going to try this tactic, make sure you watch isn’t on show.
5. Point out the obvious. If you’re observant enough you might notice that your target has their eye on something in particular like a tall building in the distance, or something going on over the street. Just let them know that you also noticed.
6. Be helpful. If someone seems to be lost or looking for something, simply go over and ask if you can help. Those directions that you give to the taxi rank could end up with the stranger in the street giving you their phone number.
7. Try being direct. There’s a lot to se said for confidence, it’s a sexy attribute in both men and women. If you’re brave and you notice someone you like try walking right up to them and telling them what you think; that they’re hot.
8. Ask what they think. This works if you’re in a bar or restaurant. Ask the person if they can recommend anywhere to go to next. It will show that you think their opinion is valuable and they might just invite you along to their next stop.
9. Make eye contact. A huge part of a conversation is body language. Simply making eye contact with someone and smiling at them can mark the start of a conversation. The general rule is; after your eyes have met three times you’ve got permission to start a conversation.
10. Use the power of observation. Look out for clues as to what your love interest might be interested in. They might be engrossed in a newspaper that you read the same day, or reading a book that you recently finished.
The dating game is all about having fun, finding confidence in yourself, and meeting people. If you can’t start a conversation then it’s game over. Revise this list of the top ten conversation starters to get a date and start dating!